Moving Tips and Hints: Making The Best of Your Moving Day
Updated: January 22, 2019
Never try to pack things on the day of your move, unless there is just a few items need to move only!
Please use moving checklist and all packing must be completed before moving day.
- Be ready when the Bekins crew arrive. Have everything ready to go, as you will be charged an hourly rate for the time the crew wait.
- Make sure both your origin and destination locations are ready. If you are moving to an apartment, book the elevator in the apartment building and notify your landlord or building manager of the arrival time of your movers. Arrange for street parking if needed.
- For long distance moves, the Good Practice Guidelines for Canadian Movers stipulate that all items must be tagged and listed by the mover and a copy of the inventory supplied to you for your records. When inventory arrive at your new destination, check off each piece, put down special note if there is any changes to the inventory before your signoff it. Otherwise, Bekins may decline your claim for lost or damaged items.
- For a local move, you should make an inventory of goods to be moved and supervise the loading and unloading or arrange for someone else to supervise. If goods are damaged or lost, make sure to inform the crew and notify to Bekins office in writing as soon as possible.
- When the loading has been completed, do a walk-through of your premises to ensure that everything has been loaded and nothing is left in closets, behind doors, in attics or garages.
- Take any personal, important documents with you. Back up your computer data and take the data and the computer with you.
- Take all of your valuables (e.g. jewelry, prescriptions, artwork) with you, and make special arrangements for perishables (e.g. food, plants) that may be affected by heat or cold. Make appropriate arrangements for your pets.
- When the unloading has been completed, do a walk-through of your premises and all hallways and pathways into your premises as well as the moving vehicle to ensure that everything has been unloaded.
Enjoy your new home!