Updated: January 22, 2019
Bekins moving checklist and advice: Tips for a less stressful move. An organized move is an easier move. Use this checklist to give yourself a head start. To help you get started, on how to plan for moving, particularly when you’ve hired professional movers to help. This checklist contains some smart and simple tips to prepare you for moving day.
Moving Guide Calendar
4 weeks before you move
- Tour your house including the attic, garage, shed and decide which items should be discarded to charity
- Request an estimate of your charges
- When moving long distances use up frozen foods and staples. Buy only what will be used before moving. It is inadvisable to move frozen goods on the van over long distances
- When moving long distance make your travel arrangements for the trip – Airline, Hotel, Rental Car, etc.
3 weeks before you move
- When moving long distance, arrange for transportation of pets including kennels. Check with your veterinarian.
- When moving long distance, start preparing your plants for the move
- Return library books, DVDs/Video tapes and other borrowed items. Collect anything lent or out for repair.
- Dispose of flammables – paint, matches, pressure cans, cleaning fluids, etc.
- Notify Post Office, Mail Order, accounts, etc of your new address
2 weeks before you move
- Draw up a floor plan of your new home to show when the furniture will be placed. Moving in will be twice as easy
- When moving long distance call a service film to prepare your appliances, washer, dryer, etc. for moving
- Start packing if you have planned to do some of it yourself
- Hire a baby sister for moving day
- Plan to discontinue utilities, etc. Pick up all dry cleaning
One week before you move
- Prepare car for the trip. Finish packing the boxed items, suitcases, and basic essentials. Plan to carry will you valuable documents, currency and your jewelry
- Drain water from garden hoses, oil and fuel from power mower and other machinery
- Defrost and wipe dry fridge and freezer
- Take down curtain rods, shelves, items permanently attached. Dismantle large power tools such as lathes and grinders, etc.
- Apply for a light application of a quality paste to wax your furniture for protection from possible scratching
Have a clear workspace available for packers. Point out
- Fragile and valuable items
- Items you will be taking with you
- Anything to be left for new owners
- Plan to stay home until van has left
- Tour house with van operator during inventory,
- Review all paperwork, sign Bill of Lading, confirm new address and delivery date.
- Be sure to check destination address and delivery date.
- Once moving van is loaded, double check that nothing was left behind in closets, basement, attic, cabinets, drawers, etc.
- Make certain windows and doors are locked, utilities disconnected or turned off, keys transferred and lights out.
- It is good idea to be at your new home a day ahead of the van
- Make sure utilities connected and floor plan correct
- Check items unloaded with inventory
- Inspect your items as the movers unload the truck by checking it off of your inventory form.
- Confirm unpacking requirements.
- If any item is damaged, make sure to indicate this on the form and file a claim as soon as possible.
- Make arrangements for re-installation of appliances.
- Notify …
- Post Office
- Credit Card Companies
- Magazine subscription etc
- Government (Family Allowances, etc)
- Friends / Relatives
- Mail Order Accounts
- Vehicles Registration
- Transfer/Update …
- House / Car insurance, etc
- Club Memberships
- Bank Records
- Legal Contracts
- Medical / Optometrist record
- School Records
- Veterinarian Records
- Dental Records
- Discontinue …
- Cable Rentals
- Garbage Collection
- Diaper service
- Food service
- Laundry / Dry Cleaning Service
- Lawn / Snow service
- Newspaper delivery
- Household Cleaning Service
- Nursery Service
- Mike / Bakery Delivery