Ways to save your moving cost
Updated: January 22, 2019
Moving is expensive and there are many ways to save your moving cost. In short, the price for Long Distance move among province or country is based on the weight of the shipment and the distance of a move. Local moves within cities are calculated by handling time and added services, like packing, unpacking, storage. The bottom line is simple: the more stuff you move, the more it will cost you.There are many ways to trim moving costs. Some are pretty straightforward, and others are less obvious.
The more organized your move is, the more money you will save in the process.
- First of all, getting rid of rarely used items: only moving what you will need in the new home, donate or garage sale any items that you will not need or fit
- Use moving checklist as a planner to ensure when it comes to your moving date, everything will be packed and ready to go. Last minute unmanaged tasks often mean have to pay extra. Move Planning save time, money as well as reduce stress.
- Take a DIY (Do-It-Yourself) approach to packing: Decide who will pack your items, you can save a lot of money if you pack your own belongings. Just make sure that to pack and unpack carefully as well as indicate items on outside of cartons room by room. Be aware that you cannot hold movers accountable for damage to items that they did not pack.
- Request free quotes from several Reputable Moving company. Based on the common criteria, including distance, service provide, number of hours worked, number of crew needed for compare Movers estimates: Ask friends and family who they recommend. It is good ideal to research Better Business Bureau (BBB), where you can search for accredited companies and also get reports on negligent companies. Remember, always get an in-person estimate, estimates over the phone or the Internet are rarely accurate and can be the sign of shady mover. Important: Get your moving price in writing.
- It is important to unpack all your boxes and check your belongings as soon as possible right after the move so you can check on your belongings and make a claim from your insurance if anything is damaged or lost. Don’t wait days or weeks before filing a claim.
- In Canada and the United States, moving expenses may be deductible if they meet specific criteria. You can save money by finding out how to get a tax deductible for expenses related to your move. Keep all of your receipts from the move for tax deduction.