Hazardous Items Bekins and Your Moving Company Can’t Transport
Updated: January 22, 2019
While Bekins is a full service mover, there are things that are not legal for us to transport.These are items that are commonly found around the house, so it may seem odd. But when you think about how any move means travel on bumpy roads, and long hours in confined spaces that may get hot or cold, it makes sense.
As a business, we must abide by the strictest guidelines, and ensure public safety as much as possible even if the worst happens, for example if there’s an accident and the moving van overturns.
Items You Can Find in the Garage
There is a potentially huge list here, but we’ll show you the most common items:
- Anything that can easily burst into flames, like gasoline, old gasoline cans, and motor oil.
- Anything that can explode, like propane tanks for your BBQ.
- Anything that contains corrosives, like old car batteries.
- Anything that could be a toxin to humans or the environment, like pesticides, weed killers, fertilizers, pool chemicals, or painting supplies and paint.
Items From Your Bathroom
There are some surprising things in this list:
- Items that can be poisonous, like nail polish and nail polish remover.
- Any items that come in an aerosol can, like hair spray or deodorants. Air fresheners count too.
- Any dangerous cleaning chemicals, like bleach, ammonia, solvents, or other cleaners. If containers leak and some of these chemicals mix, a deadly gas could be the result.
Other Things You May Have Around the House
- Fluorescent light bulbs. These contain mercury that can be poisonous if the bulb breaks and it is allowed to leak.
- Batteries. If these get crushed or heated, the result could be a corrosive leak or even a fire.
- Matches or fireworks, which obviously burn easily.
- Fire extinguishers. In the event that the moving van is in an accident, the pressurized cylinder could explode.
- Lamp oils.
- Guns and ammunition.
What Should You Do Instead of Packing Them?
There are a lot of options available to you:
- Some can be given away to friends and neighbours, like that perfectly good can of motor oil or that can of air freshener.
- Some items, like used batteries and fluorescent light bulbs, must be disposed of safely according to the guidelines for your municipality.
- Some items must be safely packed and moved by you, like nail polish or weapons.
Keep in mind that if you’re moving to another province or country, the rules may be different. When in doubt, ask your Bekins representative for more information about what we can and cannot transport for you as a responsible moving company.
Aside from hazardous materials, Bekins offers a complete range of packing services that can make your move easier on you and your family. Instead of weeks spent hunting for boxes and backbreaking labour, we take care of it all for you.