Bekins COVID-19 Update
The Moving Industry including Bekins and United Van Lines Canada continues to provide essential services for Canadians moving personal and commercial goods.
The health and safety of our customers, drivers and front-line employees is our highest priority. As an essential service to Canadians, we are committed to providing moving and storage services with safety and service top of mind. We appreciate that there are conversations happening across Canada and around the world on how industry will manage and how supply chains will continue to keep Canada moving. It is important to you and important to us.
Van Lines, Moving Companies, Suppliers and other Members of the Canadian Association of Movers have taken steps to ensure that they are staying up to date with the latest direction from the World Health Organization and all Public Health Organizations within Canada and around the world. Through education, communication and collaboration, we can work together to provide safe moving and storage services.
Canadians need to know that we are here, and we are working with fellow industry colleagues, clients, moving and storage partners and government agencies to keep Canada moving.
We at Bekins take the role as an essential business with all seriousness. We take every step along the way to ensure the health and safety of our coworkers and customers while we service the country moving forward. Specific precautions include:
- Instructed our moving staff to follow best practices: wash their hands frequently and thoroughly, distance themselves as best as possible during their workday, avoid touching their face, etc. We are updating these best practices as the major health organizations & government makes recommendations.
- We have staggered the start times for our crews, allowing one to arrive at our office, equip their trucks and depart before the next arrives to minimize the number of people each crew member comes in contact with during their work day.
- Whenever possible we are limiting crews to 2 men on a truck to help reduce the risk of contact during travel to and from customers’ homes or offices.
- We now require an automatic 14 day quarantine of all staff who have travelled outside of Canada or who live with someone who has travelled outside of Canada.
In order to help reduce the risk of infection to our staff we ask our customers to:
- Please inform us if you have been tested for or diagnosed with COVID-19, or have been feeling ill.
- If you are in quarantine, either due to a suspected or confirmed diagnosis, or due to international travel, please inform us and have a representative to oversee the move in your place to minimize risk of transmission to our staff.
- If you are able to do so, please make a wash basin available to our staff during the move, especially at the beginning and end.
Additional guidance on preventing the spread has been provided to our staff click here to see a copy of that document.